It seems like once people found out my plan to start a business, the world divided into those who wanted to ask me for advice on how to do the same thing, and those who wanted to give me advice on what they’ve done.
For what it’s worth, here are a few of the lessons from both sides:
My Top Tips for Starting a Business
- Save, save, save because you need to know you can survive for a while without any money coming in.
- Network, network, network with other women because they’ll help you to develop your idea, your sales pitch and may even refer potential clients to you.
- Believe in yourself. Confidence makes you stronger. Like the saying goes, ‘feel the fear and do it anyway’.
Top Tips for Starting a Business from Enterprising Women I’ve met along the way
- Push yourself out of your comfort zone and keep learning all the time.
- Look after yourself. Find a way to relax because following your dream can be mentally as well as physically exhausting.
- Fake it till you make it. This one is really about confidence. Everyone starts from somewhere so don’t underestimate yourself and don’t undersell yourself.